Yep, winter is here. I know because my skin has been stripped of any moisture that was left from the beautiful summer humidity. Not only is the cold winter air dry outside, but the inside air is even dryer from pumping the heat 24/7. Ok, so the snow is kind of pretty and it's fun to watch the dogs play but my poor skin is so dry and irritated! Yours too?? Well you can fight dry, flakey winter skin with these 8 skin care tips and tricks that help bring life back to your parched skin.
1. Indulge in a facial. You don't have to make an expensive trip to the spa to be able to pamper your skin. But if you can afford it, by all means go and treat yourself like the queen that you are. Just be sure they are using quality - preferably natural-products on your skin. But if you are tight for cash you can do an at home version that is just as moisturizing and nourishing to your skin. What I like to do is use steam to bring life back into my skin. If you have a facial steamer that's great but if not no worries! Just run hot water in your sink with a towel draped over the back of your head. You can also use a kettle but just be sure not to hold your head too close to the hot steam! To prepare for a steam session cleanse, tone and moisturize your skin. Then steam for 10 minutes or so and then clean your face with toner and apply a serum or oil, then moisturizer again. Your skin will be incredibly soft and glowing!
2. Start using a natural oil or serum. Because cold air is so much drier you need to rev up your moisturizing routine. During the more humid summer months I like to use Lilywhite Organics Nourishing Facial Oil as an anti-aging eye treatment. However throughout the winter months I apply a drop or two of the oil all over my face after toning and before moisturizing to give my skin the extra nourishment it needs.
3. Exfoliate as needed. I recommend including exfoliation in your skin care routine year round, but you may need to lessen (or increase) how often you are exfoliating in the winter months based on your skin type. Just be sure to add extra moisture after you scrub!
4. Drink lots of water! When you think you've had enough...drink more!
5. Use a lip balm that does not contain mineral oil. Lips are probably the most susceptible to becoming dry and flakey in the winter months. The problem with using mineral oil is that is creates an occlusive barrier and will actually make your lips dryer. You can exfoliate your lips at home by mixing some sugar with honey and gently scrubbing your pout. Apply a natural oil infused nourishing balm afterwards.
6. Shower in Lukewarm water, not hot. (this one I just can't do, I love HOT showers!)
7. Avoid body washes containing Sodium Laurel Sulfate. SLS is a detergent that strips your skin of essential moisture leaving you tight, dry and flakey. Try using a natural handmade soap bar instead. Many people believe that soap is drying to skin...well commercial soap is because they remove the glycerin and add SLS!! After showering with a moisturizing handmade bar of soap using a body lotion is optional.
8. Eat good fats. Consider taking fish oil pills, more specifically cod liver oil. The omega-3 fatty acids moisturize your skin from the inside out, leaving it soft and glowing.
So there you have it! Fight old man winter with these tips and your skin will thank you!